Church HistoryChurchBuilding

The seeds of what was to become Grace United Church of Christ began over 110 years ago, in 1895, with God the giver and sustainer of her life. The builders were men and women, and children, who desiring to create a fellowship for worship and study, laid plans, worked hard, and struggled to ignite the spark which produced our beloved Church. We appreciate the priceless legacy they have passed down to us.

 

We began as a Sunday School, first meeting in a rented room in a building at the corner of Hanover and West Streets, in South Baltimore on Sunday, January 14, 1895. We moved to Walker’s Hall the next week on Hamburg Street. The first church building, dedicated in 1896, was located on the corner of Fort Avenue and Clarkson Street. The second and present building, dedicated in 1928, is located in historic Federal Hill and is 13th Century Gothic architecture.

 

But the church is so much more than a building. It has been the spirit of the people and their commitment and faith in God which has fanned the spark to flame. The original spark which marked our beginnings has grown into a flame of continued worship, learning and reaching out to serve.

© 2017 Grace United Church of Christ
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community